Virtual Academic Academy
SCH believes every student is entitled to and should be provided with challenging educational experiences and opportunities to ensure full and meaningful participation in a global, diverse technology-oriented society.
This belief allows the Virtual Academic Academy (VAA) to serve a diverse academic student population. The purpose of the VAA is to provide a quality, personalized learning curriculum for independent scholars who can master academic standards through a virtual learning option. VAA is a synchronous, five-day-a-week program. Applications are closed until December 2021.
Successful scholars in this program are:
- Independent learners.
- Encouraged and motivated from family and/or parents.
Students in this program have:
- Control over learning space.
- The ability to work at their own pace, suitable to their learning style.
- More one-on-one attention from teachers and staff.
- A personalized learning experienced, tailored to fit their needs.
- The scholar must be in grades 3-10 for the 2021-2022 school year.
- The scholar must be a current School City of Hammond student.
- The secondary scholar must have a 3.0 GPA from the second semester of the 2020-2021 school year and/or the elementary scholar has an M or P in Math and Reading from the second semester of the 2020-2021 school year.
- The scholar must have a 95% attendance (fewer than nine days of missed classes) for the previous academic school year.
Students who receive special education services can only be placed in the Virtual Academy through a case conference process.
This program could be right for your scholar if they:
- Prefer learning outside of the traditional classroom setting.
- Prefer personalized learning and 1:1 contact with teacher.
- Engage in city community activities than school-based activities, sports, and clubs.
- Enjoy the flexibility of learning at your own pace and on your own time.
Yes, if the scholar does not meet the requirements or the program is at capacity.
Yes, if it is applicable to the course the scholar is enrolled in for learning the content.
Yes, the scholar will need to enroll in all grade level courses that are offered online.
Yes, scholars can still participate in extra-curricular activities (sports, clubs, dances) at their designated home school, which will be indicated in PowerSchool.
Yes, the teacher will provide additional support and resources for the scholar.
Yes, the teacher will communicate with the scholar and parent about the status of a course completion.
The parent and scholar will be informed in July 2021.
To remain in the Virtual Academic Academy, the scholar must:
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA (secondary) and/or maintain an M or P in Math and Reading (elementary)
- Maintain a 95% attendance rate (fewer than nine days of missed classes)
The Virtual Academic Academy will open for applications at the beginning of each semester. If they wish to transfer back to in-person learning, they must do so at the end of the semester. Once scholars are accepted into the Virtual Academic Academy, they must finish out the semester in the program.