SCH Special Education provides educational services to all children with special needs.
We invite all parents, students, and teachers to actively participate in the educational process. It is with our combined efforts that we will be able to provide the educational programs that bring positive results.
Special Education Staff
Director of Special Education
219-933-2400 Ext. 1081
Additional School City of Hammond Resources
Wondering how Occupational Therapy has been impacted by elearning? Looking for activities that can be carried out at home with adult supervision? This site has the answers you need. It also provides the email addresses of the SCH Occupational Therapists and Occupational Therapy Assistants should you need to get in touch with them.
This site has been designed to offer resources that help promote physical therapy for students and parents.
In addition to the resources and activities featured on this site, you’ll also find the email addresses of the SCH Social Workers should you need to get in touch with them.
This site has been designed to offer resources that help promote speech and language skills, and to provide strategies for fluency and social skills. Not all activities or topics apply to all students. If questions arise, please direct it to the speech personnel at your student’s school. All contact information is located within this site.
Our school psychologists have created this website for teachers, parents, and students. The topics include Grief and Loss, Mindfulness for Kids, Stress Management, Community Resources, Motivation, FUN, Emotional Support, Teacher Resources and Parent Support. The site uses various modalities (articles, video, cartoons, quotes, etc.) with both English and Spanish translations.
Commonly Used Acronyms
- AAC: Augmentative and Alternative Communication
- ABA: Applied Behavioral Analysis
- ACR: Annual Case Review
- ADHD: Attention Deficit with Hyperactivity Disorder
- ASD: Autism Spectrum Disorders
- ASL: American Sign Language
- AT: Assistive Technology
- BIP: Behavioral Intervention Plan
- BLV: Blind Low Vision
- BTE: Bridges to Employment
- CBE: Community-Based Education
- CCC: Case Conference Committee
- CD: Cognitive Disability
- COTA: Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant
- CP: Cerebral Palsy
- DD: Developmental Delay
- DHH: Deaf or Hard of Hearing
- ED: Emotional Disability
- ELL: English Language Learners
- ESY: Extended School Year
- FAPE: Free and Appropriate Public Education
- FBA: Functional Behavior Assessment
- FERPA: Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
- IDEA: Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- IEE: Independent Educational Evaluation
- IEP: Individualized Education Program
- ISP: Individualized Service Plan
- LEA: Local Education Agency
- LI: Language Impairment
- LPTA: Licensed Physical Therapy Assistant
- LRE: Least Restrictive Environment
- MD: Manifestation Determination
- OHI: Other Health Impairment
- OI: Orthopedic Impairment
- OT: Occupational Therapy
- PECS: Picture Exchange Communication System
- PLOP: Present Level of Performance
- PT: Physical Therapy
- RTI: Response to Instruction
- SEI: Suspension Expulsion Interventionist
- SI: Speech Impairment
- SLD: Specific Learning Disability
- SLA: Speech Language Assistant
- SLP: Speech Language Pathologist
- TBI: Traumatic Brain Injury